Simple Summer Garage OrganizationSmart Calgary Homes Blogging Team on Friday, June 8th, 2012 at 9:15am.
During the summer months, it’s easy for certain parts of your home to get a little unorganized; the garage is one of them, especially if you have children. Sports equipment, bicycles, skateboards, sidewalk chalk, and sprinklers litter the ground of most garages; while winter ski and snowboard accessories, fishing tackle, and camping supplies are just a few other space-takers.
So how do you keep it organized? Here are 5 space-saving tips for your garage this summer:
1. Make space: do a once over of your garage and get rid of anything you don’t need or use (if there’s a lot of it, organize a garage sale!). Next, move out of season goods, like skis and snowboards out of the way. Keep them in the back of the garage, or even move them into a closet or the basement for the summer.
2. Find a place: designate an area of your garage for summer-related items; this will reduce the chance of the whole area becoming unorganized again. Screw large hooks into the trusses or beams on the ceiling of your garage, and hang bicycles from them. This clears up floor space and leaves the bikes accessible throughout the season; they can also stay there through the winter.
3. Organize the small stuff: birdies for badminton, sidewalk chalk, bike maintenance accessories, and tennis balls are all small items that can get lost easily and clutter up a space quick. Pick up a clear plastic drawer tower (like this one) to store them in, and label each drawer accordingly.
4. Figure out what’s used the most: have a croquet set, but you only use it a few times a year? A volleyball net that is only brought out during big family picnics? Seldom used items can be stored behind oft-used ones, as it’s not crucial that they are easily accessible. This will free up space for everyday items, and
5. Net it up: pick up a large mesh bag (often available at Canadian Tire, sport/camping equipment stores), to store soccer, basketball, baseball, football, and tennis balls in. Hang the bag from one of the hooks (from step #2) for easy storage.
What’s your garage organization secret? How do you keep things in their place while maintaining accessibility? Leave a comment below, or head to our Facebook page and let us know!
Be the first to comment on this blog entry!
Leave a Comment
- Sign In
Log in, to view your saved searches and add to your favorite listings.
- Join Today