Beat Summer Heat In Your HomeSmart Calgary Homes Blogging Team on Friday, June 29th, 2012 at 7:33am.
Summertime has arrived and while it’s nice to finally see some sunshine, that sun can heat up our homes, increase our bills (air conditioning can be pricey!), and leave us hot and uncomfortable by the end of the day. There are ways to keep cool and not break the bank, however.
Photo Credit: Widecraft.com
Here are 5 easy tips to help you and your family beat the heat:
1. Install a ceiling fan: ceiling fans are much cheaper to install and run than air conditioners, and will reduce the temperature of a room (or area of your home) by three or four degrees on average. Make sure you have the fan running in the correct direction, and that you can feel the air blowing down (the reverse way helps keep your home warm in the winter).
2. Close the curtains: invest in a set of heavy, white curtains or blinds. These will reduce heat absorption, and will help keep your home cool throughout the day. Keep them drawn from early morning to dusk, when the sunlight isn’t beaming directly into your home.
3. Open the windows: so you’ve kept your curtains closed throughout the day; when you’ve opened them up, open the windows too! Nights tend to be quite cool here in Calgary, and letting the cold air through your home will keep your home cool not only through the night, but through the first half of the day as well.
4. Clean the filter: if you do have an air conditioner, make sure you clean the filter regularly (roughly once a month). It will reduce the strain on the system, increase its efficiency, and decrease your electricity bill.
5. Cook outdoors: there’s no doubt that keeping your oven or stove on for any portion of time on a hot summer day will heat up your home! Take advantage of the season and cook meals outdoors. You don’t have to eat only grilled food, you can also use the side burner on your barbecue for any dishes that require pots or pans, or cook with a cast iron pan directly on the grill.
How do you keep your home cool in the summer? Head to our Facebook page and share your ideas with us!
Be the first to comment on this blog entry!
Leave a Comment
- Sign In
Log in, to view your saved searches and add to your favorite listings.
- Join Today