There are 7 blog entries for July 2011.
Thursday, July 28th, 2011 at 9:15am. 755 Views, 0 Comments.
Getting bored with your home décor? It’s an easy feeling to come by, but not such an easy feeling to deal with. What do you do? Paint the house? Get new furniture? Move?
It’s simple… just add colour.
Photo: Style at Home
Here are 5 great ways to add a little colour (and a little umph!) to your home; just buy a can of paint, a couple of brushes, and lay down some newspaper:
1. Frame it! Select several of the picture frames in your home and give them a bit of a makeover. Paint them in a variety of different colours, even bright ones (get out of your comfort zone!).
2. Revamp your dining set by giving it a coat of colour. Don’t go crazy bright with it, as there’s a lot of surface to be painted, just choose a hue that you love. Big fan of purple? Try a…
Friday, July 22nd, 2011 at 10:38am. 694 Views, 0 Comments.
How do you keep cool in the summer?
With heat waves making their way around North America, staying cool is on everyone’s mind. Some of the warmth will arrive in Calgary this weekend, just in time for several of the city’s best festivals (Folk Fest, Sun and Salsa Festival…). Here are five ways to keep cool and while having fun outdoors in Calgary this weekend:
Photo: Global Dish
1. Keep hydrated. It might seem like a given, but it’s important to make sure you stay hydrated with the right stuff. Limit the caffeine and alcohol – as both are diuretics and will end up dehydrating you; water is always the best option. Snack on fruits and vegetables, as they’ve got high water content, and shy away from super-salty food; it’ll make you retain water, but not in a…
Wednesday, July 20th, 2011 at 11:50am. 598 Views, 0 Comments.
The unpredictable weather in recent months has been a reminder to many that it’s crucial to be prepared for anything. While disasters like wildfires, tornadoes, and flooding are not common, they can happen.
Photo: Calgary Herald
So what do you do in the event of something like this happening, and more importantly – how do you prepare for it? Here are 7 ways to keep your family protected:
BEFORE IT HAPPENS
1. Look over your insurance coverage. How much is covered? What is your deductible?
2. Do you know who to call? Have your insurance company’s number handy, as well as your policy numbers. The quicker you can take care of things, the better.
3. Have a plan. Make sure your whole family knows where to go in the event of a disaster. Head to the basement if…
Friday, July 15th, 2011 at 1:07pm. 928 Views, 0 Comments.
There are just a few days left of the Calgary Stampede, and the city is still in all-out western mode.
Pancake breakfasts, people decked out in plaid, and the odd “Yahoo!” are just some of the things that define this annual celebration; but everyone’s got their favourite part.
Is yours the food? The rides? The Grandstand show? Or is it simply the festive mood around the city?
Head to our Facebook page and vote in our Stampede poll!
Photo: Stampede Breakfast from globaldish.ca
Wednesday, July 13th, 2011 at 1:40pm. 580 Views, 0 Comments.
Are you saving as much water as you could be?
We’ve been lucky so far this summer and we’ve had quite a bit of rain. Sure it keeps us inside when we’d rather be having fun in the sun, but it’s necessary. Trust me.
By collecting some of that much-needed rain, you can save up for a not-so-rainy day, and use the water to maintain your yard and garden. You’ll not only be doing your part to lower your impact on the environment, but you’ll also be keeping more money in your pocket.
Photo: Green Calgary
One of the simplest ways to conserve water is by using a rain barrel. It’ll reduce your bills and nourish your plants with pure, non-chlorinated rain water. There are many places around the city where you can pick up a barrel (for around $70), including the…
Friday, July 8th, 2011 at 11:21am. 1409 Views, 0 Comments.
Yahoo! It’s that time of year again; the time where we all dig out our western wear, consume an outrageous amount of pancakes, and feel an overwhelming urge to ride mechanical bulls.
It’s a good time, but it can be an expensive time. Here are five tips that will help you save money at this year’s Stampede:
1. Pack a Picnic: Sure, give the corndogs and mini doughnuts a shot, but for your main meals, opt for homemade goods. Pack a couple of sandwiches, some fruit, and some healthy snacks (like raw almonds and cheese) to keep you fueled up throughout the day. The fried treats are tasty, but they’re also hard on your body and your wallet. Don’t forget to bring a few bottles of water as well to keep you hydrated.
2. Arrive Prepared: …
Tuesday, July 5th, 2011 at 5:18pm. 1150 Views, 0 Comments.
Globalfest is a breathtaking international fireworks festival is coming up next month and we want you to go! Each night, a different country provides a firework show, as listed below:Friday, August 19th – China
Sunday, August 21st – Philippines
Tuesday, August 23rd – Canada
Thursday, August 25th – Italy
Saturday, August 27th – Grand Finale
Photo: Brad Allen, Globalfest
The activities take place at Elliston Park (on the corner of 60th Street and 17th Avenue SE) from 6:00pm to 11:15pm, and include entertainment, ethnic food booths, international bar, night market, and cultural pavilions in addition to the fireworks. Find out more about Globalfest here!
We are giving away 2 passes to Globalfest to our 500th follower on Twitter! The passes grant you…
- Sign In
Log in, to view your saved searches and add to your favorite listings.
- Join Today