There are 8 blog entries for June 2011.
Thursday, June 30th, 2011 at 10:33am. 731 Views, 0 Comments.
Not sure what to do for Canada Day? Don’t worry; there is no shortage of events going on all around the city.
Photo: CTV Calgary
Here are the main attractions:
Celebrating Canada’s 144th Birthday
Where: Prince’s Island Park
When: 12:00pm to 6:00pm
What: Entertainment on three stages, games, food, crafts, and vendors
Website: City of Calgary
Olympic Plaza Celebrations & Fireworks
Where: Olympic Plaza
When: 7:00pm to midnight, Fireworks 10:45 to 11:00pm
What: Live music, food, fireworks
Website: City of Calgary
Prairie Winds Park BBQ
Where: Prairie Winds Park
What: BBQ, child-friendly activities
Website: Omni Alberta
East Village Street Fair
Where: The East Village – 8th Avenue SE
When: 9:00am to 4:00pm
What: local artisans' wares, music buskers, cultural…
Tuesday, June 28th, 2011 at 2:52pm. 497 Views, 0 Comments.
Is it time for a change in your yard? Wasting water trying to keep your flowers blooming? Landscape changes, large or small, can make a big difference the appearance of your home. Here are three tips to make the most out of your yard.
1. SAVE WATER This design featured on HGTV (pictured above) promotes water conservation with the use of native plants, local mulch, and a rain chain in place of a gutter. Click here for the plan as well as other water conservation ideas.
2. DITCH THE GREEN It can be tough to keep your grass green, for a variety of reasons. If you want to revive your lawn, it can be as simple as letting it grow out a little more than you usually would, raising the lawn mower blade, and easing up on the fertilizer. If you choose…
Friday, June 24th, 2011 at 11:03am. 528 Views, 0 Comments.
Cheers to the first official weekend of summer! Let’s celebrate with a quick trip to the farmer’s market, a backyard barbecue, and a day in the sunshine with friends and family.
Here’s what you’ll need for the perfect day:
- A barbecue
- Plenty of beverages
- Comfortable chairs
- A Frisbee, soccer ball, and a kite
- Most importantly… good company!
Photo: Global Dish
Lastly, fire up the grill and make this simple dish that is sure to please even the pickiest of palates. Check out the recipe for Grilled Peach Salad with Grilled Beef and Goat Cheese here!
How do you plan to celebrate the first weekend of summer?
Wednesday, June 22nd, 2011 at 1:01pm. 754 Views, 0 Comments.
You don’t have to go too far to have an adventurous time in Calgary this summer; activities like mountain biking, zip lining, and even bobsledding are all right in your backyard!
Canada Olympic Park, the site of the 1988 Winter Olympics, has a huge variety of things to do – especially for those looking for a bit of an adrenaline rush.
Image: D'Arcy Norman
First up, zip lining. COP boasts North America’s fastest zip line. On your way down, you’ll reach speeds of up to 140km/hour, not to mention you’ll be dropping down 100 metres. Just check out Mayor Nenshi, Jann Arden, and Rick Mercer trying it out; there’s no denying it – it looks like a good time! Price: $60 per person (or $49.50 per person in a group of 12 or more).
Ski hills just aren’t for winter –…
Thursday, June 16th, 2011 at 5:46pm. 1014 Views, 0 Comments.
It’s Father’s Day on Sunday, and we want to make sure that all of the last-minute shoppers out there are prepared!
Photo: Gonzalo Pineda Zuniga
Here are ten great last-minute gift ideas for dad:
1. Season 1 of AMC’s “The Walking Dead” is perfect for dads who love good television. This series boasts outstanding graphics and makeup, a fantastic cast, an impressive lineup of writers and producers (including Charles Eglee of Dexter and The Sheild), and an exciting storyline. Besides, who doesn’t love a good zombie show? Price: $26.99 at HMV.
2. If your dad is a golf lover, head to a golf course and pick up a gift card for a round of golf, a punch-card, or a gift certificate at the pro shop. Price: it’s up to you!
3. The Kobo Reader is the perfect gift for the…
Tuesday, June 14th, 2011 at 11:08am. 631 Views, 0 Comments.
It’s almost summertime, and you know what that means: it’s road trip season!
This is the time of year where we all hop in our cars, pack up the cooler, buckle up the kids (or a group of friends) and hit the road. The only drawback is that road trips can be pricey. Here are 7 ways to save money on the road:
1. Do your research: Planning your routes and sleeping spots beforehand will reduce the chances that you’ll come upon unforeseen circumstances. Finding out about a big detour or full campgrounds/hotels can result in extra gas money spent, pricier sleeping arrangements, and even more expensive food. Even if you’re a spontaneous traveler, just take a look at construction and road reports a day or so prior to departure.
2. Fuel up: Gas prices change…
Friday, June 10th, 2011 at 11:53am. 1450 Views, 0 Comments.
What’s going on with the Calgary ring-road?
It’s a question that many people are thinking about, but there hasn’t been all that much information in the news lately. This may be due to other construction projects, such as the proposed airport tunnel and the work being done on the southwest leg of the LRT, overshadowing this venture.
The northern leg of the ring-road opened in November of 2009 and includes Stoney trail from Highway 1 (16th Avenue) on the west side of Calgary to Deerfoot Trail NE, and Deerfoot Trail to 17 Avenue SE (Highway 1A).
Photo Credit: CanadaViews.ca
Upon completion, it was estimated that 30,000-40,000 vehicles would use the new road every day, and it does seem to have eased traffic in surrounding areas.
The southeast portion…
Wednesday, June 1st, 2011 at 2:32pm. 571 Views, 0 Comments.
I can’t believe it’s already June, can you?
This can only mean two things: 1. We’re only 3 weeks away from summer; and 2. It’s time to announce the winner of our May contest!Photo: Redbloom Salon
Congratulations, Ayn L, you’re our May winner! You’ve won a fabulous makeover at Redbloom Salon in Bridgeland. It includes a cut and highlights from the salon’s Master Stylist as well as a makeup application/lesson from a Certified Makeup Artist, and it’s valued at $300!
Ayn was chosen via Random Number Generator. Stay tuned to the Smart Calgary Homes Blog for more contests and giveaways, and don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and "like" us on Facebook!
- Sign In
Log in, to view your saved searches and add to your favorite listings.
- Join Today